Monday, May 08, 2017

Doctor, my eyes !

It was good to melt some solder yesterday.  Other than building the magloop and soldering some PL259s, it's been way too long since I've done any serious kit building.

But I have to tell you .......... my eyes!


My eyes are not what they used to be. The last "seriously big" kit that I built was probably my K2, back in 2004, 2005?  Not exactly sure which year it was - and it appears my memory is fading as well as my eyes! LOL!  I mean, I've built other kits since then, but nothing as intense as the K2 experience.

Anyway, back then I wasn't wearing bifocals yet.  My eyes have definitely gone downhill since then. Bifocals are great for reading, but suck seriously when it comes to kit building. The "close" part of the bifocal lens is useless for the kind of closeup vision needed for soldering and for reading component values. For reading component values I used a magnifying glass, but for soldering? It was easier to just take off my glasses and rely on my own myopia.

So it was a hilarious routine.  Glasses on to read the manual, then pick up the magnifying glass to read the component value.  Put down the magnifying glass to re-check the manual.  Glasses off for the installation and soldering of the component. And so forth, and so forth, and so forth .........

I think I spent more time taking my glasses on and off than soldering! It made for an interesting afternoon of juggling.

Sadly, I think SMD would be pretty much out of the question for me, now. Not that I would be incapable of it; but I think the frustration factor would make the experience joyless, and that's part of the reason we build things, right?  Not only to end up with a functioning piece of equipment; but also to have some fun in the process.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:23 PM

    Hello Larry

    Having had a similar problem I can highly recommend those visor type magnifiers jewelers use, especially those with selectable lenses to vary the magnification. Unfortunately I have to use glasses for reading these days and while fine for reading my prescription glasses are simply not powerful enough for electronics use.

    However wearing the visor magnifiers as well as my glasses has brought my close up vision back to a stage where I can actually see to build stuff using smd components let alone normal leaded parts, thus making everything a lot less of a strain. It also has the added advantage of protecting the plastic lenses of my glasses from solder splash.

    Regards

    Kevin G6UCY

    ReplyDelete